I wasted so much time and money on creating ringtones for my iPhone from iTunes. It's so frustrating to pay $0.99 for each ringtone that you create from the song that you already purchased. And the worst part is iTunes will not let you create ringtones from songs that you have already owned since forever. It only lets you create ringtones from the songs you bought in iTunes. This is a major problem I had with Apple. I mean, I have the best mobile in the whole world and I cannot create ringtones for it unless I buy the song again and pay $0.99 again to create a ringtone from it. To add to that, iTunes will only let you create a ringtone for 15 sec. Ideally, it's ok but what if I want it to be 20 secs. And you cannot cut and paste different sections of the song you love. It has to be a continuous segment of 15 seconds. That's lame so I decided to venture out and find a free solution. As always, there is an open source (FREE) alternative to this craziness. Once you go through the following steps, you will never pay a single penny to anyone for ringtones. It's quite simple really. Just follow the instructions and Enjoy!
1. Download Audacity -The best Open source Sound Editor (version 1.3.9 beta or greater) NOT THE STABLE VERSION i.e. 1.2.6 currently from the Site. Remember this does not work with 1.2.6 or older.
2. Install Lame MP3 encoder library (Needed to work with mp3 files) (Instructions here)
3. Install FFmpeg library(Needed to convert to m4r) (Instructions here). NOTE: I am guessing you need ffmpeg installed already on your Mac/PC to use this plugin. Google it!
The Actual Creation of Ringtone
4. Open a mp3 file you want to create ringtone from in the Audacity application.
5. Select the part you want and copy it.
6. Create a new file (Ctrl + N)
7. Paste the copied part onto the new file.
8. Export the new file as m4r by clicking (File -> Export)
9. Select the format "M4A (AAC) Files (FFmpeg)"
10. Save as "somefilename.m4r"
Now, import this ringtone into iTues (Ctrl +O). And Sync your iPhone to get the new ringtone. That's all there is to it. Hope you will find it easy. Let me know how it goes!
NOTE: If you wanna check out the ringtones I created, here are some :
1.Eye of the Tiger
2.Chris Brown - Forever Ringtone
3.Miley Cyrus - Party in the USA
4.Natasha Beddingfield - Pocketful of sunshine
5.Micheal Franti - Say Hey I Love You
7.Venessa Carlton - Thousand Miles
All in one zip along with some more - Click Here